East Greenwich Free Library

Knowledge is Priceless

82 Peirce St., East Greenwich, RI 02818

(401) 884-9510

Mon - Thu: 10am - 8pm
Fri - Sat: 10am - 4pm

Historic Images of East Greenwich

Aerial View of Cowesett and East Greenwich Coves from Spencer Avenue - detail, East Greenwich end of picture (color streaks are artifacts from protective plastic wrap) - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Aerial View of Cowesett and East Greenwich Coves from Spencer Avenue - detail, Cowesett end of picture - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Aerial View of Cowesett and East Greenwich Coves from Spencer Street - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Swift Memorial Gymnasium - school - East Greenwich
East Greenwich, Schools
Greenwich Mills - industry - East Greenwich
East Greenwich, Industry
Main Street - note dirt road - C. Jessen and Co. - near the northwest corner of Dedford and Main, later the Tin Peddler Antiques - industry - East Greenwich
East Greenwich, Industry, Main Street
The Forge - birthplace of Major General Nathanael Greene - built 1684 by James Greene, first white settler on Potowomut - house - East Greenwich Library
East Greenwich
Spring Street - The house partly shown on the right edge was the birthplace of Raymond E. Tanner in 1908 - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Payne Farm looking along Kenyon Road towards East Greenwich. The house burned in the 1920s. "Paradise Park" on right - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Brayton Meadows - East Greenwich
undefined
Court House - This drawing of 1877 states that the building was erected in 1805 - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Governor William Greene house - built 1680 - postcard - East Greenwich
East Greenwich, Postcard
Huling house - Frenchtown Road - East Greenwich
East Greenwich, Frenchtown Road
Founders Monument - plaque mounted on a boulder from Fry Farm - located at Old Jail, foot of King Street, headquarters of the East Greenwich Preservation Society - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Old jail - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Old jail - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Old jail - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Governor Greene house - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Varnum house - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Wayside Cross - Middle Road and Cedar Avenue - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Outhouse along Crompton Road - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Governor Greene house - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Town Farm - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
William Gorton Bowen house - 1830 - Peirce Street and Revolution Street - picture along Revolution Street - East Greenwich
East Greenwich, Peirce Street
Court House - The Court House of East Greenwich was erected about the time when lotteries were reaching their height in the middle of the 18th century. In 1750 Kent County had been established and a system of courts established for the same. About 1750-1752 some gentlemen of East Greenwich began the construction of the court house but were unable to provide funds to finish it. In 1752 they requested and received permission to hold a lottery to raise funds to finish it. - East Greenwich
East Greenwich, Main Street
Jeremiah Peirce Tavern - built 1710, demolished 1920s - was on the northwest corner of Main and Division Street - formerly owned by John G. Mawney - house - East Greenwich
Division Street, East Greenwich, Main Street
Governor Greene house - 1680 - Division Street and Love Lane - East Greenwich
Division Street, East Greenwich
Division Street looking east toward Varnum Armory - post office on right - East Greenwich
Division Street, East Greenwich
Dansing Bridge on Division Street East of Cedar Avenue - postcard mailed in 1910 to a Mrs. Harry King - East Greenwich
Division Street, East Greenwich
Allen Fry house - built 1785 - 400 Division Street - East Greenwich
Division Street, East Greenwich
Miller-Congdon or Congdon-Miller house - Division Street - East Greenwich
Division Street, East Greenwich
Greene house - on Division near Main Street across from Miller-Congdon House. House in photo was later owned and occupied by Anna Holden and later Dr. George Young. - East Greenwich
Division Street, East Greenwich
White Horse Tavern - built 1750 - house now demolished - was on Division Street and was owned by Grace E. Shippee - East Greenwich
Division Street, East Greenwich
Jeremiah Pierce Tavern - built 1711 - house now demolished - stood at the corner of Main and Division Street - East Greenwich
Division Street, East Greenwich, Main Street
Hodgman House - Powell Hodgman Royal Manor - Martha Barker c. 1830 - Fyrtree Hall - Division Street - East Greenwich
Division Street, East Greenwich
Dr. Eldredge house - Division Street - East Greenwich
Division Street, East Greenwich
Transportation c. 1920 - picture from someone associated with the Academy - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
East Greenwich Academy - school office in 1920 - East Greenwich
East Greenwich, Schools
James Mitchell Varnum House - built 1773 - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Hodgman House - Division Street - East Greenwich
Division Street, East Greenwich
Holden House - built 1732 - Division Street - East Greenwich
Division Street, East Greenwich
Windmill Cottage also called Longfellow House - Division Street - East Greenwich
Division Street, East Greenwich
General James Mitchell Varnum house - built 1773 - interior with electric lights - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
General James Mitchell Varnum house - built 1773 - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Railroad Station c. 1908 with water pump at right - Sign says: Adams Express Company. - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Railroad Station in 1889 with Engine No. 33 - East Greenwich
East Greenwich
Railroad Station - postcard - East Greenwich
East Greenwich, Postcard
Town Hall in July 1947 - This photo was taken immediately after Town Hall had been painted and repaired at a cost of $1400 for painting and $55.70 for repairs - East Greenwich
East Greenwich, Main Street
Main Street in June of 1964 showing Town Hall before it was demolished - East Greenwich
East Greenwich, Main Street
Main Street in December 1964 after the demolition of Town Hall - East Greenwich
East Greenwich, Main Street

Pages